Enter your e-mail address below to reset your password.
by GIZ IPSP
How can we ease the communication and obtaining services for illiterate persons in public services?
Would you like to improve the life of illiterate persons in Egypt? Would you like to help us enhance the quality of public services provided to 25% percent of the illiterate population? In collaboration with GIZ, we are looking for creative solutions that make public services more accessible and inclusive for the illiterates on a daily basis.
Make an impact by helping design an application geared towards illiterate persons! The application should focus on guiding them through obtaining a supply card from the supply offices (Ministry of Supply and Internal Trade) and assist them in obtaining the information they need without the need of constantly asking others for help.
We are looking for tech geeks, developers, computer and software system engineers to design and implement a creative app that eases the communication of illiterate citizens while using supply card office public services. If you’d like to partner with us, please read on for more details!
Currently, around 25% of the population in Egypt are illiterates, all of whom are most likely to use government public services and attend to public care. Illiterate citizens have a great effect on the flow, overall speed, and quality of public services provided to both them and the general public since their main source of information is through word of mouth or asking others for help. This process creates communication barriers which lead to citizens exerting greater efforts to obtain timely services due to the large amount of paperwork to be read and information to be written to complete the process. It also makes it difficult for illiterate citizens to keep track of their documents and have the correct forms necessary during different stages of the procedure.
To create a mobile application that assists illiterate citizens in managing and preparing required documents while dealing with the supply offices services in Egypt such as initiating, editing, and replacing supply cards, etc.
Both the proposed and final solution should clearly demonstrate the following criteria:
● Assist the illiterate persons to fill forms.
● Assist the illiterate person to prepare the required documents for selected services provided by the supply offices (e.g. issuing or renewing a supply card).
● Assist the illiterate person to navigate inside the offices independently.
● Reduce the time spent by an illiterate person in a public service office by half. This should help minimize time loss, confusion, and miscommunication in information that is transmitted by word of mouth.
Upon successful selection of the winning solutions, GIZ shall link the awarded providers to the relevant entities hosting the implementation of the solutions. Potential entities include a selected municipality in Cairo or Monofeya (e.g. Shoubra, Maadi, Ashmoun or Shebin El-Kom) or a local supply office in Cairo Governorate.
For additional useful information on some of the supply card office services and their processes please click here.
○ High interactivity and functionality
○ High-quality visual designs
○ High navigation and robust structure
○ Have an Arabic interface
○ Cross-platform: can be used on multiple platforms: iOS and Android
○ Specifically addresses illiterate or low-literate citizens
The three shortlisted candidates will have the opportunity to present their ideas in a pitch competition attended by GIZ members and government officials and will gain exposure within the development community.
The winner from the pitch competition will receive:
- A reward of 80,000 EGP (inc. taxes) provided by GIZ/IPSP to implement the solution with their collaboration. The reward will be given in instalments in accordance with milestones set by the innovator(s) according to their plan of action. Winners will also receive:
- Recognition and support from GIZ/IPSP across their networks.
- The possibility of future collaboration with GIZ.
- Acknowledgement of the winner amongst GIZ partners.
As per our platform Terms and conditions and in case the intellectual property rights are not registered, the innovator should not disclose any sensitive unprotected information. Meanwhile they should include all technical details required to judge the technical validity and feasibility of the solution. The intellectual property of the well-developed app will be to the government and GIZ.
You can submit a solution at any time. Before doing so, we strongly recommend you read the rules and FAQs.
If your organization is facing a pressing challenge, please submit it by clicking here and follow the instructions.
Share your ideas and get help
Yomken works with people who have brilliant ideas for innovative products and who are looking for financial, collaboration or marketing support to complete these ideas. Our platform helps you to get the needed PR and marketing for free! You may also get inspired by the challenges posted by others to solve them and get awarded in return!
Yomken enables you to find for innovative solutions outside the boundaries of your organization. Open-innovation enables you to use the power of social networking and the wisdom of the crowd. If you are a CSR department or a donor agency, you may also sponsor the solution of social challenges!
Yomken provides you a range of innovative products and ideas by some of the most innovative entrepreneurs in the world. You can support your favorite entrepreneurs by sharing or possibly collaborating with them to improve or complete their products!